With this tutorial I am going to show you a way to create a waving effect using Adobe Photoshop (It can also be done with other graphic design software since the tools we are going to use can be found in almost all graphic design programs). I use this technique mainly for creating waving flags, however it can be used on any image and in various graphic design projects.
Draw or open your photo. For this Tutorial I am going to use this USA flag.
1) Double click on the padlock next to your flag layer to unlock the layer
2) Go to “Image” -> “Canvas Size” and increase the canvas size by 20% both horizontal and vertical. Make sure you have the “Relative” box is checked.
3) Go to “Image” -> “Rotate Canvas” -> 90 CW
4) Go to “Filter” -> “Distort” -> “Shear” and use these settings
5) Go to “Image” -> “Rotate Canvas” -> 90 CCW
6) 4) Go to “Filter” -> “Distort” -> “Shear” and use these settings